Saturday, March 14, 2009

Mystery Purse Day 1

It's Here!! It's Here!! It's Finally Here!!!
(Wow! I had a hard time waiting so long.)
Well.....Let's get started!!!!!
***If you need help email me at lolaagain@gmail.com or leave a comment.****

Fabric and Notion requirements:
1 yard of the Main fabric
1 yard of Accent fabric (will also be the lining)
2 yards of heavy fusible interfacing
Matching Thread
1 magnetic snap
*optional* 4 D-rings for straps.
Sewing Machine
Rotary Cutter and Mat**
**Can be done without rotary cutting...it will just take longer!
If you haven't already done so, sign up for a Flickr account, and join Gracie Lou's group.
We will be posting pics of our progress, and the finished products

Before cutting:
*Iron both pieces of your fabric. (don't iron the fusible interfacing....that would be bad!)

*Open them up and press out the fold. I use lots of steam, and spray starch.

*Look at the cutting diagrams below. The pieces all fit snugly into the yard of fabric. You pretty much have to cut it out this way to make it all fit.

*Mark (with pinned on paper, or tape) fabric pieces as you cut them.


From your Main outside fabric cut:
3 - 16" x 24" for purse body (mark 2 of them "A", and one "B")
1- 4" x 44" Straps
1- 8" x 16" Pocket
1- 4" x 12" D-ring straps
Lay fabric out flat....NO FOLD!!!

From your Accent/lining fabric cut:
3- 16" x 24" (mark 2 of them "A", and one "B")
2- 4' x 9" Strap Accent
2- 6" x 7" Flap
Lay fabric out flat....NO FOLD!!


From Interfacing cut:
2 - 16" x 24" For lining (both A lining pieces)
1- 4" x 44" For Straps
1- 8" x 16" For Pocket
2- 6" x 7" For Flap


Step 1-Fuse interfacing to matching pieces.
*If you want a stiffer bag you can Interface Purse Body B, and Lining B pieces.
*If you want to use it for a Computer Bag, I suggest using fusible fleece for Interfacing on Purse Body B, and Lining B

Step 2-Get 4" x 44"(or width of fabric) strap piece and cut it into fourths.
(they will each measure approx. 4" x 11")


Step 3-Take your 2 Purse Body A pieces.
Lay them with right sides together.



Fold stack in half.


We are going to mark a right angle on the side with raw edges. Measure over 8" and down 7".
Mark as shown in photo.

The next thing you will need to do is round out the corner.

Just freehand it, or you can use a bowl as a guide.
Cut that curve away.
Everything is now cut, faced, and ready to go for Monday.
Take Sunday off, or use it to catch up!

Day 2 here

8 comments:

It's A Wonderful said...

MONDAY? I have to wait til Monday?!!! Oh well, the worst part of sewing is the cutting out, so I have two days to get it done...are you sure we have to wait until Monday? If I continue to whine and needle, might you reconsider? Pretty-please...?

Lauralee said...

I am so excited to get started. I cant wait to see what the bag looks like. I am going to get busy cutting. I hope monday comes fast!

b. said...

Dang!
I wasn't going to look...and then I did anyway...and I think "Hey! I might could do that!"

Brianne said...

I'm ready to go for Monday! Woo hoo!

Super Happy Girl said...

I am here for the cookies.

Abbey said...

Ok...I messed up big time already! Oooopps!

Kathi D said...

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy!

Pinktulip said...

At last! After all the waiting and excitement and I could not get to my computer this weekend! Quite frustrating. But I will catch up today.

PS: Love the "new look" blog!

Pinktulip